Papers, please! Make sure your car is compliant before continental motoring

Papers, please! Make sure your car is compliant before continental motoring

Venson reminds fleets and company car drivers to get their paperwork in order before leaving home

[stextbox id=’tyrepress_default’ caption=’Venson’s European motoring check list’ shadow=”false” float=”true” align=’right’ width=’250′]

  • If you’re taking your company car to Europe contact your fleet manager or fleet management company to check whether you need a VE103B. Processing of the paperwork typically takes 2 weeks.
  • Check your passport to ensure it is not within 6-months of the expiry date. If it is, it will need to be renewed before travel.
  • Even if you regularly drive abroad always check the local rules of the road before you go, as requirements can change. Visit the AA website for detailed advice.
  • Check your service schedule and, if a service is due, make sure it’s carried out in advance of your trip to reduce the chance of expensive breakdowns abroad.
  • Check all tyres for condition, pressure and tread depth before you go. Most countries have the same requirement as the UK – a minimum tread depth of 1.6mm over the central three-quarters of the tread and around the whole circumference.
  • Before setting off on your journey make sure you have valid breakdown cover for your entire trip as well as your ultimate destination.
  • Many countries require visiting motorists to carry a safety kit. Check the AA website for country advice before you go


The lifting of many lockdown restrictions, scrapping of foreign travel quarantine and the introduction of “travel corridor” destinations, have seen holiday bookings to driveable locations across Europe unsurprisingly rocket. But as people opt to take a flight-free break this summer, Venson Automotive Solutions is reminding fleet managers and company car drivers to check leased cars are covered for international travel and fully roadworthy, especially if they have been idle on the driveway during lockdown.

Alison Bell, marketing director for Venson Automotive Solutions commented: “Company car drivers, even those who are still furloughed, may be planning to take the car abroad but they need to remember they have to be in possession of the correct paperwork. If they are not the registered keeper of the vehicle then they will need a VE103B (Vehicle on Hire Certificate) from their employer or leasing company. This is an authenticated document and an acceptable substitute for the V5C. It is produced by the DVLA and contains details of the vehicle along with the name and address of the hirer or lessee. It enables the police and other authorities to verify that the person driving the vehicle has permission from the asset owner to do so. Drivers should check with their fleet manager and allow at least two weeks for processing of the paperwork.”

Despite the UK having officially left the EU, rules for driving in the EU will not change until 1 January 2021. This means UK drivers will not need a Green Card this year, but they must carry a copy of their certificate of insurance, and passports must have at least six months left before the expiry date. Checking local driving rules is also important even if travelling to a familiar destination as requirements can change.

Continues Alison Bell: “We would also advise that cars are well maintained and if necessary serviced before travelling, to avoid the cost or inconvenience of repairs, and that drivers have valid European breakdown cover. Many EU countries also require UK motorists to carry safety equipment such as a warning triangle and reflective jackets – the AA website is a good source of country-by-country advice.

“As travel restrictions are lifted, we understand the desire to get away on holiday. But to do so safely we recommend drivers do their homework before travelling, and make sure they understand all the legal and safety requirements of driving abroad.”


Featured Tyres